Welcome to Life Connections Official Blog Site

It is our hope and prayer that the words of this Blog may be thought provoking. Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated.

Monday, December 14, 2009

A Jesus Sandwich

When I was a little kid I could eat PBJs three times a day. I loved them. They had to have butter and jelly and especially peanut butter--the chrunchy kind. I loved them then and I love them now. It just doesn't get any better than a PBJ Sandwich. I didn't like sharing my PBJs with anybody, espescially my big brother Bill. He was mean to me sometimes. But sometimes I had to. Sometimes he'd take the whole sandwich.

This life is like a PBJ sandwich. I never thought about it much, but the most important thing about a PBJ is the bread. It's what holds it all together. It's what gives you something to hold on to, otherwise it could get really messy. Imagine slapping a hunk of butter and jelley and chrunchy peanut butter on your hand and trying to eat it. Well, I don't have to imagaine it, I've tried it. The first time it was kind of fun, but it was a mess. And it just didn't taste the same. The bread is so important. You might like wheat or white or rye or whatever. As a kid I loved thick Wonder Bread--do they still sell Wonder Bread?

So what's a Jesus Sandwich? It's all the good and messy stuff in this life wrapped between two big slices of the Bread of Life. I call one slice "Peace" and the other "Joy". Or if you want to get real crazy make a "triple decker". That third slice is called "Love". And all the really great Jesus Sandwiches need to have a big slice of "Love", right?

Well enjoy your Jesus Sandwich everyday. And as hard as it is, cut it in half and share it with the people you come across who are the most hungry.

Especially share it with your "big brother" who calls you names and says other mean things to you. And if he/she takes the whole thing, make him another one. There just isn't anything better than a Jesus PBJ Sandwich.

2 comments:

Carrie Harwell said...

I love me some Peanut Butter and Jelly, the real stuff, no additives. Nothing added to enhance it, just straight up peanuts. I love me some rye bread, toasted so the peanut butter gets even messier, sometimes it drips right out. I don't mind cutting it in half. I would prefer to eat it all by myself. Hmmm, the bread is joy and peace, I love me some of that too. Don, I love your stories. Thank goodness for a God that holds all our messy stuff together. Thank goodness we have a Messiah to help us with out mess

Don and Carolyn said...

I love me some Carrie Harwell. That's also why he gave us each other--to hold each other, mess and all. You remember what JOY stands for, right?

Jesus
Others
Yourself

Without relationship with God and each other we would really be a mess. I use to say "Jesus first, others 2nd and yourself last. I honestly believe now that we need to really love ourselves first so we can really love others and that makes Jesus really happy.