Welcome to Life Connections Official Blog Site

It is our hope and prayer that the words of this Blog may be thought provoking. Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Pro Choice vs Pro Life

When I was very very young back in my fetus days I was thinking about how safe and secure I was. I had everything I needed and wanted--food, shelter, warm water bed, and that soothing "thump thump, thump thump..."

If it was up to me I guess I could have stayed there forever. But then after about nine months this bright light drew me toward it and out I popped and something wacked me on the butt until I cried. Mom said I looked black and she didn't want to touch me. (Wow! Physical, racial and psychological abuse in the first five seconds of life.)

Sixty-two years later as I sit here writing this blog I hear this "thump thump, thump thump..." and I'm looking for some light. I feel very uncomfortable and know what I write is going to offend somebody so I think I'll offend everybody--those both to "right" and "left" of me.

Why is it that the democrats and republican can't seem to agree on anything? Is it because they start with different assumptions? I know this is really tremendously over simplifing the matter but one believes "government is "for" the people" and the other believes that government is "of" the people". And what seems to get lost in the mix of all this is "the people".

Could that also be what get's in the way of "pro-lifers" and "pro-choicers"? Some how what gets lost in the mix is "the baby". My guess is if I told some of you what I personally believe about this "issue" you would be very up-set with me. In fact I think both sides of this "issue" would be up-set with me. And some could be even thinking: "Don, you are either for life or your not" or "You are either for choice or your not". You can't be for both. You can't have it both ways. And you know, you're right, I can't. So what can I do?

If I'm for choice a person chooses what she wants. If I'm for life she is forced to choose what I want, that is what someone else wants, not what she wants. Either way something dies--a baby or her right to choose.

What are we to do? No "win win", only lose win or win lose or lose lose." I control your choice and you lose it. Or I you win, then your choice and the baby's lose. Or you lose you freedom and the baby loses hers/his life.

We could pretend that a fetus isn't a living thing and then all three lose: choice, life and truth.

So what are we to do? What are you to do? Make a decision. Make a choice. Take a life or save a life. And then you live with that choice. And I will die for your right to do either.

Ok, now who else do I want to "provoke"? Well, I'll tell you right now I will also die for your right to be what you really think you are: be it gay or strait or both. Just like I will die for your right to be "republican" or "democrat" or neither.

No comments: