Welcome to Life Connections Official Blog Site

It is our hope and prayer that the words of this Blog may be thought provoking. Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

"OLD"

You've heard it said that you're only as old as you think. Well what if you don't think you know what "old" is? That wise guy Solomon said "As you think in your heart, so are you."

That Solomon might have thought it was cool to have a bazillion wives, etc. But that sure got him in trouble. I get in trouble with having one wife and Carolyn is wonderful and has put up with me for going on 39 years. Wow. Old...that's old.

In 1971, when we got married on Carolyn's Dad’s birthday, I really don't think I had a clue as to what real love was. I was pretty sure what "lust" was and "friendship" was and "selfishness" was. But love, not a clue did I have. (Now I'm sounding like Yoda.) Marrying Carolyn was very close to the wisest thing I've ever done in my life, second only to committing my life to Jesus.

Old. It may seem like we're old, yet only to those who are the age we were when we got married. Remember us "baby-boomers" didn't trust anyone over thirty. Yet to people in their 70's, 80's and 90's I'm sure we seem very young.

Old is a word. A label. It means nothing unless we give it meaning. Like commitment and love and forgiveness. Just words. Put them in a context and they can mean everything: OLD. God is Old. God is love. God is forgiveness.

Old cheese; old wine; oldie moldy; old fart--what my daughter Sara lovingly calls me, partly because her mother hates that "f" word.

Well, I feel old and I'm grateful to feel old. And I think in my heart that I want to grow older with that beautiful person who committed her heart to me on November 5, 1971. Old. Old. Old. Would you commit your heart to be OLD with me?

Happy Valentine's Day from this OLD F..T.

No comments: